Sunday, December 6, 2009

Summer skin in December


It's funny how music can evoke so much emotion and almost take you back in time to recalling different memories, happy or sad. My iTunes was on shuffle this evening as I was studying for yet another final and Summer Skin by Death Cab for Cutie came on. The song's opening piano chord quickly got my mind thinking about the lyrics, which after this past summer have special meaning to me. Wait, let me rephrase that...after this summer, the lyrics to this song actually have meaning to me. To make a long story short-boy meets girl, boy and girl live 1500 miles apart, girl falls in love with boy and boy did not, um, reciprocate. It's so cliche to think of a "summer love" but this song so perfectly describes the way our relationship came and went. Perhaps I do harbor some bitter feelings towards relationships and love right now, it's only normal, right?! But with the cold weather and rain that has recently fallen over San Antonio, I can't help but let my mind wander off thinking about carefree summers with warm sunshine, barbecues and the possibility of another summer fling. Hey, if anything, it beats the hell out of trying to wrap my mind around rotational paths and swing locks.

No comments: