Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Living up to my name

Granola...



Yes, that was a name so lovingly given to me by a few dentites a couple of years ago. The fad of calling me by this nickname has slowly faded but I still smile when I hear it those few occasions I do.
The thing is, I never felt like I deserved the nickname. In my opinion, I never stood up to those that are true Granola's in my mind. No dreads here and I've never protested, my style definitely isn't funky enough and I, sigh, drive an SUV. (but my excuse is that its a) fully paid for, b) can fit three bikes with a canoe on top and c) my dog can go anywhere with me!)
I suppose it is because I grew up and went to high school in Austin. Or maybe the liberal arts college with more liberals than most cities in Texas. But probably mostly because we are in dental school with the good ole boy mentality and a bunch of military officers. Anyone who even thinks about recycling is enough to be granola here.

The other reason: I actually do LOVE granola.


photo by Karen Mordechai and Sunday Suppers.

Every brand and type I've tried I fall more in love. I eat it for breakfast, sometimes for dessert at 10pm, love it with yogurt, even eat it on salads sometimes. love it. I've always been intimidated by the beauty and perfection that is granola that I was always scared if I tried to make it myself, I would mess up terribly and ruin my love for this food forever. And thus, I've never tried to make my own.

Enter this morning and my usual blog-reading session. Sunday Suppers. If you aren't following this blog, you must add it. Immediately. Even if its just for the amazing photography. But, if you like food, or cooking, or all-natural things, or throwing get-togethers, or decorating, or just anything pretty; it's awesome to peruse every now and then.

Anyway, I noticed today they had a recipe for granola. And it looked way too easy to mess up. I mean, you mix some stuff up and bake it! Why have I been scared of this before?
So, my mission for the week: Make granola!

From Sunday-Suppers:
Homemade Granola
Serves 4-6

4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
3/4 cup honey
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter

Directions
Heat oven to 320 degrees.
Place the butter and honey in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter is melted. Place the oats and nuts in a large bowl, pour over 1/2 the butter mixture and toss well to combine. Spread evenly over the base of a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Stir, pour the remaining half of your butter mixture over the granola and bake for a further 5−10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Allow to cool and stir through additional items like raisins cranberries, pumpkin seeds or pistachios. Store in an airtight container.

I think I'll add some rye flakes and chopped dried fruit...Off to Sun Harvest Market I go!

No comments: