Monday, May 17, 2010

New life everywhere ya look.

The past couple of weeks have been filled with new life and new beginnings. First we visited Ben's precious and perfect nephew.....

I cannot comprehend how small this creature is! His sweet little face is the size of my palm. When I pointed this out, Ben said, "duh. As we learned, the neurocranium is larger than the viscerocranium for the first two years of life."

Although I didn't get to share mothers' day with my mom and grandma, I was really honored to spend the weekend with Ben's family, welcoming the newest member into the mom's club. For some reason I've never been the kind of girl to plan a dream wedding or fantasy home, but I've always known my biggest accomplishment will be motherhood. That being said, visiting the nephew didn't bring about new ideas or epiphanies about babies per say, but did make me see their effect on the greater community--the family. AND made me decide I should get lasik before giving birth so I can fall asleep at any given moment.

I failed to take pictures of the six closet dividers I made for the new baby before they were sent to his mom, so I snuck up to the nursery and got some pictures of these crafts in action.


The dividers are designed to fit around the closet rod, but this particular rod doesn't dismount so Ben's sister had to improvise with the green ribbon. This craft is so easy to make and organizes the baby's clothes by month. I chose more mature designs (if scrapbook paper can be "mature") as the clothes got bigger, but only took these two photographs. The closet divider idea came from this blog.

After our stint in Dallas to meet Ben's nephew we went to Houston to meet my new niece.....

PRINCESS LOLA MUFFIN!!! She goes by Lola and she's cuter than you thought possible.

She only weighs 1 pound, 8 ounces. I guess human babies aren't the only babies that bring families together.

As if all this baby fever wasn't enough...Brigid and I saw BABIES last night. It was definitely enjoyable watching the four babies from different cultures, observing the similarities and differences in their rearing, but we're still left wondering what we were supposed to take from the documentary! Hmmm.

One last note on children--some of them behave so badly!! We visited my sister Leah's fourth grade classroom on Friday and I have no idea how she has survived being a teacher this long with that group. I would most definitely have cried at my desk long ago. Before you get all goo goo ga ga over these cute photos I've shared and decide to start popping out the little ones--please get an education, a partner, and a positive attitude.

1 comment:

Christi W said...

Congrats on your new nephew! He may not be legally your nephew yet, but you obviously love him like family :)